We’ve been inspired by all the books on our beach-themed list. They are full of fantastic ideas for having fun at the beach.
Read one of these books with your children before your next visit to the beach. There may be an idea featured in the story that your children would like to try. Connecting books to a child’s own experiences is a great way to build a child’s vocabulary and help them to learn about the world around them.
Here’s a list of activities we want to try (We’ve already started some of them):
1. Write your name in the sand (Great for kids learning the letters of their name)
2. Have a crab race
3. Sea-comb along the sea shore. What natural and man-made treasures have made the journey to the beach?
4. Fly a kite
5. Play games in the sand (Eg. Noughts and Crosses or Hangman)
6. Build sand castles
7. Collect shells, and use them for artwork or use them to make a necklace
8. Visit a sand sculpture display or make your own sculpture
9. Search the rock pools
11. Bury yourself in the sand
12. Play some beach sports (frisbee, volleyball, cricket)
13. Create a Jeannie Baker inspired collage using items collected at the beach
14. Explore the sand for footprints and guess who they belong to. Make up stories about these people or creatures.
15. Fish from the jetty.
16. Play hopscotch in the sand.
17. Make your own sand-art.
18. Have water bucket race. Who can reach the finish line with a bucket full of water?
19. Play water games (e.g.Marco Polo)
20. Run a treasure hunt. Bury some ‘treasure’ and draw a map to help your family find it.
21. Write a sensory poem: I see…., I hear…., I smell….., I taste….., I feel……..
22. Read a beach-themed book
23. Run a mini biathlon
24. Ask your kids for some ideas
25. Have you got any other ideas you’d like to add to our list. Click on ‘Tell your tale’ to share.