This activity is all about looking for clues in stories and illustrations to help you decide what Santa would like to eat on Christmas Eve.
Read a few of the books from our Australian Christmas stories list and look for clues that might help you work out what treat Santa would really like when he visits your house.
Our Background Story:
With inspiration from Tania McCartney’s launch party of Riley and the Curious Koala, Cam and I thought Santa might like some lamington wombats and koalas for a treat. Why?
-He really loved his Aussie Holiday and can’t wait to visit again on Christmas Eve
-He has a pet koala
-He enjoyed a plate of lamingtons with Mrs. Claus the day before Christmas.
Aaargh!!!! We bit off more than we could chew this time. Cam couldn’t manage to think about coating the lamingtons in coconut because she was solely focused on eating the icing that fell into the coconut. Thankfully my husband was home to assist, so disaster was averted.
What she did love was turning the lamingtons into wombats and koalas.
An Aussie Day Before Christmas
Publisher: Scholastic Australia
Age suitability: 3+
Also available as a Board Book, ISBN: 978-1741695090, Age suitability: 0-2, RRP: $9.99
Author/Illustrator: Maria Farrer and Anna Walker
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Age Suitability: 3+
Also available at a Board Book, ISBN: 9781741695106, Age suitability 1+, RRP: $9.99
You will need:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1/4 cup Cocoa
- 10g Melted butter
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 2 cups Coconut
- Slithered almonds
- White chocolate buds
1. Bake your sponge or if you’re time-poor buy a pre-made sponge
2. Cut sponge cake into small rectangles
3. Combine sugar, cocoa, melted butter and milk
4. Mix well to create icing
5. Dip sponge rectangles into icing
6. Coat in coconut
7. Place lamingtons on wire rack to set
8. Use slithered almonds as ears. Press into the lamington
9. Use sultanas as the animals’ noses. Melt a little bit of white chocolate to act as ‘glue’.
10. Place your lamington wombats and koalas out for Santa on Christmas Eve so he can enjoy a yummy Aussie treat.
And last year, inspired by Jackie French’s A Christmas Wombat , we added Santa Hats (strawberries and cream) to our wombats for our Storybook Christmas Party treat.