I wrote a post for Culture Street last week, listing 5 wonderful books for a baby’s first library. Baby Gets Dressed was featured on the list, so I’ve had the book out of the bookcase for a few weeks.
Being a board book, it is a story we hadn’t actually read for a while, but seeing it in the lounge room, Cam quickly took a new interest in it.
All I’ve been thinking about lately is playing with books, and I thought it would be fun to turn getting dressed into an Olympics event for my family. It was particularly great for Cam who is becoming increasingly independent when it comes to getting dressed.
This book was commissioned by The Little Big Book Club so it is a very popular book in Australian homes. I thought you might be interested in the game.
You’ll find a run-down below. I apologise for the poor photos (and lack of photos). It was difficult to take snaps and play the game at the same time. Plus I was reading the pages of the book during the game so the competitors knew which item of clothing needed to be put on next. I’m not making excuses but honestly, that really is the sole reason I came last. :)
Baby Gets Dressed Time Trial
Competitor #1: Dad
We set up the following articles of clothing in a circle:
- Singlets (one for each competitor)
- Shirts (one for each competitor)
- Pants (one for each competitor)
- Jumpers (one for each competitor)
- Bibs (one for each competitor)
- Socks (one for each competitor)
- Shoes (one for each competitor)
- Hats (one for each competitor)
- When the timer begins, each competitor must work their way around the circle (beginning with the nappy) dressing themselves in each article of clothing.
- Once a competitor is dressed and wearing all articles of clothing, they call ‘STOP’ and their time is recorded.
- The competitor who is fully dressed in the quickest time is the winner.
(NB. The clothes were too small for Dad and myself, so we dressed some toys instead)
We personalised and printed medals from Tinyme.com, and held our own awards ceremony.
- Set a time limit: The winner is the competitor wearing the most articles of clothing when the time has lapsed.
- Label the sides of a die with each article of clothing. Each competitor rolls the die to see what article of clothing they must put on. Keep taking turns to roll the die until one competitor is fully dressed.
You can find many other wonderful activity ideas for Baby Gets Dressed at www.katrinagermein.com
Title: Baby Gets Dressed
Author: Katrina Germein
Illustrator: Sascha Hutchinson
Format: Board book
Publisher: Working Title Press, 2009
RRP: $14.95 (aud)