A tableau is the motionless staging of a group of costumed people and props
to represent a picture or an idea.
I follow a number of photographers. Their work is always so creative and inspiring. It was Kelly De Voil’s photography work that sparked the idea for this project (you can see some of her photos below).
I think families are going to have so much fun brainstorming and designing their entries for this project. It’s sure to spark some fun, creative and entertaining images.
As part of this project we are asking you to:
- Choose a favourite picture book cover, illustration, or title to re-create as a tableau
- Brainstorm and plan how you will recreate the cover/illustration/title as a scene
- Gather or create costumes and props to use for your scene.
- Re-create the cover/illustration/title as a still, live scene using costumes and props (The scene can be a literal re-creation or a cryptic one- see Kelly De Voil’s cryptic examples below)
- Hold the tableau and capture the scene as a photo
- Upload the photo to our Facebook Photo Contest Page
- You will be asked to vote for your favourite entry towards the end of the month (Voting will close on 7 October, 2012)
Here are some examples to inspire you:
The 11th Hour by Kelly Devoil Photography
Alice in Wonderland by Kelly De Voil Photography
Harry Potter by Kelly De Voil Photography
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by Kelly Devoil Photography
- Entries for this challenge will officially close at 9pm on September 30, 2012
- Once you have captured your Picture Book Tableau, upload it to the Facebook Photo Contest Page
- Remember, you will need to vote for your favourite entry (You will have until 7 October to vote)
You might have your own blog and wish to write about how you and your family approached this challenge. Feel free to write about it in a post, publish it on your blog and link up here for our readers.
PROJECT #7 SPECIAL OFFER FOR PARTICIPANTS:
The Little Bookroom is the oldest children’s bookstore in the world. In 2012, they opened their online store.
For the month of September only, The Little Bookroom is offering free delivery to My Little Bookcase readers on any purchase/s made from the online store.
The details of this offer:
- Available to AUSTRALIAN readers only.
- Offer is valid between 1 September and 30 September, 2012
- This offer is not valid in conjunction with any other offer
- Simply use the following promotion code at the check-out to redeem your free delivery: MLBchallenge
My Little Bookcase has three copies of A Family of Readers by Roger Sutton and Martha V. Parravano to give away. You can read more about this parent resource here.
Terms and conditions:
1. Readers may enter more than once
2. Entrants must live in Australia to be eligible as prize winners for this challenge
3. All entries must be received by 9pm (AEDT) on September 30, 2012 to be eligible
4. Three prizes will be awarded for this challenge.
5. My Little Bookcase readers will be given the chance to vote for their favourite entry.
6. Voting will close at 11pm (EST) on October 7, 2012
7. The two entrants with the highest number of votes will receive a copy of A Family of Readers. The third prize-winner will be chosen by Jackie of My Little Bookcase.
8. The winners will be notified via email and will also be announced on www.mylittlebookcase.com.au, facebook and Twitter
9. The winner is asked to send a reply email with their delivery address, and must reply within 7 days before the next entrant is awarded the prize.