I’m thrilled that you have found My Little Bookcase- a little blog in the big world of wonderful online resources.
Hopefully, you’ll find lots of book recommendations and inspiring ideas for reading and sharing books with your child and helping them to develop a love of reading and learning.
You might want to start with these popular posts.
ABOUT MY LITTLE BOOKCASE
My Little Bookcase is more than just a place to shelve your children’s books.
- We believe that a love of reading provides a child with a wonderful and positive platform in which to develop their literacy skills, which includes writing and oral language.
- We hope to model and provide parents with fun, warm, friendly and positive ways to engage their children in reading.
- Here, we also celebrate the value of a traditional book, the joys of reading and quality time shared between parent and child during story time.
- My Little Bookcase is much bigger than this blog. Join our Facebook page to be part of a community of parents, caregivers and educators who have a love for books and value the importance of reading with children. It is a place where members can share their own ideas and experiences or ask for book recommendations and reading tips.
- My Little Bookcase has been lucky enough to have a number of bloggers and readers write guest posts for the website. You can take a look at the guest posts here.
ABOUT JACKIE, EDITOR OF MY LITTLE BOOKCASE
Loves, joys and addictions:
- I love good food, vintage furnishings, Bollywood dancing, planning parties and picture books
- I get joy from reading, baking, watching Offspring and spending time with my family.
- I’m addicted to sugar, Google, social media and online shopping.
In 2005, I married my best friend and together we have created an incredible little family. We both share a love for learning and growing, which we’re excited to pass onto our children. With the support of my husband I have been able to take extended leave from my teaching position to be at home with our children.
Cam was born in 2009. She was the inspiration behind My Little Bookcase. Before reaching many typical milestones, Cam was turning pages and licking the various textures of books. She was gaining so much joy from books and I loved watching her discovery and exploration of them.
In December 2012, we welcomed little Ike into our family. His arrival and his first few weeks of life threw our world upside down. He spent some time in NICU and he is my daily reminder of what is important. He is most content when his big sister reads him a book.
My teaching background
Before becoming a mother, I was completely absorbed in teaching. For 10 years I worked in primary and secondary schools, worked in positions of responsibility, sat on teacher network committees, presented workshops for peers, developed curriculum and co-authored text books and teacher resources before taking leave to be a stay-at-home mum.
Becoming a mother has only heightened my enthusiasm for education though. I’ve always enjoyed books but becoming a mother has allowed me to delight in books on a whole new level. There is nothing like snuggling close to your child and listening to one another’s heartbeat as you read a story together.
My Little Bookcase is a project that allows me to be at home with my children while still being able to share my knowledge, passion, ideas and inspiration with other families and educators.