I’m thrilled that you have found My Little Bookcase- a little blog in the big world of wonderful online resources.
This is a case full of the best book recommendations, and fun and interesting ideas for reading and sharing books with your children. There are so many ideas, that you might like to start with our most popular posts.
ABOUT MY LITTLE BOOKCASE
My Little Bookcase is more than just a place to shelve your children’s books.
- We believe that a love of reading provides a child with a wonderful and positive platform in which to develop their literacy skills, which includes writing and oral language.
- We think books are important to and for children. We’ve listed 10 reasons why books are important here.
- We hope to model and provide parents and educators with fun, warm, friendly and positive ways to engage their children in reading.
- We think reading should be fun.
- Here, we also celebrate the value of a traditional book, the joys of reading and quality time shared between parent and child during story time.
- My Little Bookcase is much bigger than this blog. Join our Facebook page to be part of a community of parents, caregivers and educators who have a love for books and value the importance of reading with children. It is a place where members can share their own ideas and experiences or ask for book recommendations and reading tips.
- My Little Bookcase has been lucky enough to have a number of bloggers, experts, authors and readers write guest posts for the website. You can take a look at the guest posts here.
- We want all Australian homes to be filled with wonderful books, so we run regular giveaways.
ABOUT JACKIE, EDITOR OF MY LITTLE BOOKCASE
Loves, joys and addictions:
- I love good food, vintage furnishings, Bollywood dancing, planning parties and picture books
- I get joy from reading, baking, watching Offspring and spending time with my family.
- I’m addicted to sugar, Google, social media and online shopping.
In 2005, I married my best friend and together we have created an incredible little family. We both share a love for learning and personal growth, which we’re excited to pass onto our children. With the support of my husband I have been able to take extended leave from my teaching position to be at home with our children. Daddy doesn’t appear too often in our posts, but he loves joining in when we’re having fun with books. So, sometimes you might be lucky enough to spot him.
Cam was born in 2009. She was the inspiration behind My Little Bookcase. Before reaching many typical milestones, Cam was turning pages and licking the various textures of books. She was gaining so much joy from books and I loved watching her discovery and exploration of them. I’m incredibly thankful that I fostered her love of books from an early age; her imagination is wild, her vocabulary is rich , she runs circles around my general knowledge and she has such an intense passion for life, learning and giving things a try.
In December 2012, we welcomed little Ike into our family. His arrival (and his first few weeks of life) threw our world upside down. He spent some time in NICU and he is my daily reminder of what is important. He is evidence that you can laugh and be charming even when life has been unkind. He is most content when his big sister is reading him a story.
Our love affair with books
We all love reading. Daddy used to simply read for knowledge, but we’ve converted him too; now he also gets joy from reading and can’t wait for story-time. I catch my children reading all the time- sometimes in the strangest of places (I once found Cam hiding in a cupboard with a book).
We borrow books. We buy books. We play with books. We lick and chew books. We repair books. We love meeting people who write books. Even our soft toys love to read. And anyone who visits our house should watch out, because they’re sure to be roped into a bit of story-time.
My teaching background
Before becoming a mother, I was completely absorbed in teaching. For 10 years I worked in primary and secondary schools, worked in positions of responsibility, sat on teacher network committees, presented workshops for peers, developed curriculum and co-authored text books and teacher resources before taking leave to be a stay-at-home mum.
Becoming a mother has only heightened my enthusiasm for education though. Watching my own little ones grow and learn is fascinating and exciting. Becoming a mother has also allowed me to delight in books on a whole new level. There is nothing like snuggling close to your child and listening to one another’s heartbeat as you read a story together.
So, My Little Bookcase is a project that allows me to be at home with my children while still being able to share my knowledge, passion, ideas and inspiration with other families and educators.
I hope you’ll pop by again. Please think of us when you’re hunting for ‘the right’ book or if you just want some tips and reading activity ideas that will engage your child or students. Feel free to contact me if you’re looking for something in particular that you can’t find here.
You’ll also get lots of information by joining one of our communities. Subscribe to our mailing list and we can send our brand new posts to your inbox once a week.