Even though our bookcase is already jam-packed with wonderful alphabet books, I was really pleased to stumble upon I Love My ABC by Anna Walker. Ollie returns to us amongst some other exquisite illustrations in this simple alphabet book. Apart from the book being an absolute beauty to the eyes, it has everything I look for in a first alphabet book:
- Simple (but charming) illustrations on white pages
- Lower and uppercase letters
- A simple image to represent each letter of the alphabet. This gives the reader freedom to use the book in a myriad of ways (E.g. Guess the word; Tell a story using the images etc.).
A Simple Alphabet Game:
My daughter is showing a keen interest in the alphabet at the moment. She doesn’t recognise all of her letters yet, but she does spot them in the environment around her and is always asking questions about what she sees.
Taking her lead I thought we’d play an alphabet game outdoors. I Love My ABC came in handy for the game too.
What you need:
- An alphabet book (we used I Love My ABC by Anna Walker)
- Large Foam Letters (or you could create your own letters using heavy card stock)
- I placed the letters around our backyard. Some were hidden and some were in the open.
- We sat with I Love My ABC, and opened the book to a random page. We briefly talked about the letter on the page and made up a story about the illustration.
- We then searched the backyard to find the corresponding letter.
- We took it in turns to open the book to a page and hunt for each of the letters.
Easy to set up, easy to play, lots of fun and a little bit of learning!!!
Looking for more fun alphabet activities? Read more here.